Port Orleans French Quarter Trip March 2023

 I will begin this blog with a trip report of my first trip of the year and a series of firsts for me at Walt Disney World. Let me introduce myself I am Pete (hence the name Let Pete Plan). I recently retired from around thirty years in public education in Illinois and North Carolina. My family and I have been going to WDW pretty much annually since December 2008. If you asked around to some of my co-workers and friends they would say I am a bit obsessed (okay they'd say I am Disney crazy). With that said I like to plan trips to WDW. I am an independent agent for Boardwalk Travel Agency and my services are free (we get paid commission by Disney) and I will work with you to create a wonderful vacation for you and your family and/or friends. Contact me at letpeteplan@gmail.com to begin the process. Now onto the report.

We arrived at Port Orleans French Quarter (POFQ) early before heading to Disney's Hollywood Studio on March 6, 2023 and checked in for the Disability Access Pass (DAS) for my youngest son Wyatt. This allows us to choose a return time for an attraction without having to wait in long lines with our son who has a seizure disorder and cerebral palsy. We chose Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway for our first attraction with the idea of doing Slinky Dog Dash also that day. We had reservations at Hollywood Brown Derby (a first for me and my family) where I had duck al orange (sorry Donald) which was delicious and my wife had the famous Cobb Salad. We skipped dessert because I had made reservations at Beaches and Cream Soda Shop for later that evening and I wanted to have dessert there (actually I ate dessert for dinner). So after lunch we headed to our room which was ready and Jule and Wyatt took a nap while I went exploring the resort and caught a ferry to Disney Springs. 

The next day was our Animal Kingdom day and we of course headed towards the Kilimanjaro Safari and then grabbed a bit of breakfast (Mickey Cinnamon Roll) and then watched the Festival of the Lion King (always wonderful). Our next attraction was Kali River Rapids and then a bit of retail therapy with me using the time to snap some photos. I took Wyatt to Dinoland and we met Daisy and Chip and Dale. I also got a few shots of some macaws by the Tree of Life. Then we headed to Disney Springs for more retail therapy and Paradiso 37 (delicious as usual). 

Wednesday was our Magic Kingdom day where we rode Haunted Mansion saw Carousel of Progress and ate at Sleepy Hollow. I watched the parade from the train depot at Main Street USA before I had to run an errand at Fort Wilderness. When I got back we headed over to the Polynesian and ate at Ohana's (my biggest disappointment). We went back to the room and Wyatt began feeling crummy. He ended up having a fever and we almost thought of calling it short but after awhile he began to perk up and after a good night's sleep we headed to our reservation at Ale and Compass and then to EPCOT. 

This is where Jule began to feel crummy. She headed back to the room because she was tired and wanted to rest while I took Wyatt with me to explore EPCOT during the Flower and Garden Festival. After making a loop around World Showcase I took Wyatt back to the room to rest. 

I then went to the Magic Kingdom in order to watch the fireworks and I did something I always wanted to but never did. I watched them from behind the castle. Although you don't see the castle projections, all of the music and narration is audible and the sky is lit up pretty much right above you it is gorgeous. What a way to end a trip of firsts. New resorts, restaurants, and firsts including using my Disney annual pass. 

The next day we checked out after we had a doctor come to the room and diagnose my wife with tonsillitis. We then headed to our house and have been unwinding. Until next time have a great time!






Comments